Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sky Crosser

A tinge of sadness, a small lump in the throat and a general feeling of melancholy....Guess that is the formula for a successful love story.

Vinnai Thaandi Varuvaaya fits the bill perfectly. A movie for the die hard romantics who still keep the flag of hope flying. There is of course the story, the acting, but what made the movie for me was the music. I thought ARR had a ball doing this movie...he seems to have enjoyed it and in the process made sure we did.

All the players were near perfect. Simbu was watchable...I never thought I would ever say that. The only thing he should try is to see if he can get out of his characteristic dialog delivery. It felt like I was watching Airtel Jodi Number 1.

My heart went out to Trisha...Oh My! What a performance! Somehow I felt the lines that she spoke were all written by a man. I can never ever imagine a woman mouthing some amazing lines like that :-P. But to me she was the stand out performer. So subtle, so good! And she was just a treat to the eye and soothed the heart!

The reason I think the movie scores was because the climax was at the interval! One would imagine a walk into the sunset after that, especially since they were in Kerala. One often what happens after the climax. Guess one answer is VTV!

As we were leaving the hall, one person was commenting that the end was practical. Don't know whether the practical end is always the right end. Sometimes you do want a movie to be just that and give in to the romantics! I don't know whether this will be a all time great movie, but definitely one love story to talk about for this generation of movie goers!

1 comment:

missedcall said...

dharu, I am writer sujatha's son keshava and I'd love to talk to you about some of the adaptations of my father's work. I am located in the bay area. can you email me if possible @ keshava_rangarajan@yahoo.com . Thanks!