Saturday, December 29, 2007

JumBore Circus

Took the family and went to see the Jumbo circus. The key question I ask myself is why? I thought I would take my kids to see something I enjoyed as a child.

We were late for the circus (as usual!) and then I did this cinematic run to the Rs 150 ticket counter only to be told that it was sold out. I jumped (yes, I can), skipped (again, yes I can) and ran (again...alright! I jogged!) and displaced enough people from the Rs 80 Q. I got the tickets! Yes! Or so I thought.

We entered the tent (asthma delite!). There were these unbelievably dusty chairs and fine dust particles floating all around. We waded in and found seats. And then I endured the next 90 minutes. It is not that the performers were sincere. I just realized I had grown up and the kids (at least the ones I still claim to have under my sphere of influence) were not interested. The jokes from the clowns were stale, the tricks were okay. The animals pretty much walked in and walked out. The elephant attempted to play some cricket. Other than the motorbike rounds in the cage there was little to give us excitement! The best fun I had was with the kids and their antics.

There were literally thousands that enjoyed the circus. I guess I have just out grown it and moved on. The problem was that the tricks had not changed. The circus had not come to the 21st century. They were safely ensconced in the 1960s.May be if they do something more fun and more contemporary I will like it.

No comments: