Friday, November 9, 2007

1st Day - 2nd Show - Must review OSO!!!!

As the title says, due to a rare alignment of stars your truly ended up watching Om Shanti Om. Before all the IT hotshots woke-up, I woke up at 5:15 am to book tickets for a theatre many did not know existed. Since, it is a first day event I thought I will 'review' the movie. But then even as I said the word review, self doubt crept in. Can I review like a national award winning buddy of mine. Who am I kidding, enough of the review bakwaas and instead I decided to focus on my reflections (sounds cool when I say it)...I shall now reflect on the movie!

First things first, I loved the end...I mean the real end when Farah Khan misses the auto. That was cute!! I think in some sense that is a reflection of the movie. A movie on movies and movie people where no one takes themselves seriously. And when they do, they stink! There is some stinking in this movie, but not much.

I loved the fact that everyone was made fun of. Even in a senti (or as they used to write it irritatingly in those days when Om kapur was all of 10 years, psenti with the 'p' silent) scene you don't know whether the characters were serious or not. I loved Akshay Kumar in the "Return of Khiladi" and Abhishek in Dhoom 5 where he is nominated for best actor because he is not there in that movie!!!

I loved the fact that they actually tried to sell the movie looking at you straight in the eye and telling us that "you believe people flying, hitting 10 villians, why not this story" and why not! I loved that Sharukh decided to fight like a true South Indian Film hero.

I loved Deepika (Thank you Prakash!). She hopefully would get to do more than just have that amazing, radiant smile in the coming movies. I am all Shanthi to see this for now, but the gal was good at making fun of herself too.

I liked Kiron Kher's Maa. She must have done this role with her eyes closed, but she was funny. Shreyas was awesome, so talented an actor! Comedy comes naturally to him. But is he getting typecast??

There is of course no OSO with out the king Khan. He is uber cool in this movie. He succeeds because even when he is goofing off he is soooo sincere. That is cool. You can watch it for Shah Rukh.

Of course, I did not like the fact that they suddenly went serious for a few minutes. The best part was when you thought that the movie was lost because Farah wanted to 'tell a story' it rescued itself. If I were thinking of the screenplay again, I would rethink some of the transitions in the second half. But don't worry Farah I am one of those who was completely entertained by this production from you guys...Good fun, keep it up.

And as a friend pointed out, When you entered the movie theatre and started seeing the movie, you knew the movie...you knew the end before they actually did it. You knew it all...spooky no? Naah!!! Just good old Hindi picture yaar!!! We are born with it!

No comments: