Sunday, September 9, 2007

Flame of the Forest - Not So Bright!

I saw the Flame of the Forest performed by Just Us Repertory at Ranga Shankara today. It is based on a Tamil Novel by Kalki called Sivakamiyin Sabatham. After sitting through a very good performance by the team, I left unsatisfied. I was wondering why. After reflection and intense discussions with my parents (fellow fans of Kalki's works), here is my take.

The factors that were an integral part of Kalki's story, the characterization, the purpose of the characters and the purpose of the story itself was absent in the play. I was able to understand the play because I was aware of the story. But if this were presented to someone who has no idea of the story, I wonder whether they would have been able to appreciate it. While the playwright tried to make the events very contemporary through citing war being incited by religion, or the futility of war, I could not really empathize with any of the characters. It was as though I was looking at a nice album on someone else coffee table. The greatness of reading Kalki's story is the ability to feel that you are part of the action. Here you were sitting back and watching it unfold. Neither did I feel the futility what Mahendra Pallava felt, nor sorry for Sivakami. Talking about Sivakami, where was Sivakamiyin Sabatham (or the oath of Sivakami)?

There are several ways of telling a story and every person should have the liberty to choose how they tell it. In this version of telling the events, you have Paranjothi (or Siruthondar) as the Sutradhar. Balakrishnan playing this part as well as Pulikesi and Shatrugna's son was absolutely superb. He was so convincing in each of the roles he played. The gent who played Mahendra Pallavan was good, but one felt that he was holding back as Vajrabahu. The ensemble was excellent. Sivakami, the young and old. were well rendered. Sivakami, the younger one, played by Mythili Prakash was very expressive and I am sure an accomplished dancer. One tinge, that I felt was she made sure that every instant she was on stage (even when she was not dancing), she reminded everyone that she is a dancer! She could "chill out" a bit. The director chose to play the part of the older Sivakami. She played to her strength of singing and did not not come out as a dancer!

When I was leaving the auditorium when all was said and done, I missed Naganandhi (the amazing chalu villain monk), I missed Maamallan, I missed Sivakami and her Sabatham. But that was compensated by the fact, that I enjoyed Parnjothi and Mahendra Pallavan. I liked the poetry and music and a new way of doing an Indian play. But still there was that what if....

No comments: